Wednesday, September 5, 2018


--- Freedom galleries ---

In the South, many schools, libraries, shopping malls, city halls, museums, and other public buildings had a wall where they displayed patriotic documents - the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, the Gettysburg Address, etc. Selma is known for it's connection with civil rights so important statements of political equality were often included such as Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech and the Emancipation Proclamation. I'm sure other areas had their own versions. We called them "Freedom Galleries".

I don't think I've seen one since I moved to Denver and I'm wondering if it was just a phase that the South was going through. I'm puzzled that, when I do a web search for "freedom gallery", I can't find any general information. I do see articles about specific exhibitions.

Do you have freedom galleries in your area? Do they all contain the same documents or are there specific differences from place to place? Do the differences seem to point to differences in locale?


No comments: