Tuesday, July 3, 2018


--- A Day at the Zoo ---

I spent a day at the zoo with some friends and family. It's hot here and many of the animals are trying to stay out of the sun. One giraffe was hugging the side of a building trying to stay in the thin shade.

But the most populous exhibit was well represented and visible. Humanity was out in force, and, of course, there are really few better places to observe human nature than the zoo.

Well, but I'm not going there in this blog. You might have noticed that I rarely show pictures of recognizable humans.  They're there and I enjoy watching them and talking to them, but the only time I will include an interaction is when everybody involved has given me the go ahead. And, it's a small world, yes, it is. I could easily get someone in trouble by publishing their image and it would be purely accidental - so I just don't do it.

But I'm pretty sure that the following pictures won't get my subjects into trouble, and there won't be a lot of narrative here. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

                                                              [Pinstripe horses (zebras)]


[Fat polar bear]



[Poison dart frogs]



[Snakes]

[Capybara - this one's not from Georgia]


[Lion fish - wonder if they know the poison frogs]






[Lizards and turtles]


[Tiger]


[Okapi]


[Elephant - he knows he's the center of attraction]

There were zoo staff wondering around that were plum happy to tell you about they're favorite animals, and then there were shows. I couldn't get a good shot of the tapirs (they were trying to stay out of the heat) but a proud zoo staff told us about their many children and where they are. (He sounded like he was one of the parents!)



[Headless monkey - actually, he was just keeping his head down.]

[It's hot here. Rhino knows hot]


[Gorilla - trying to ignore the other primates]



[Grizzly bears]

[Dahl's sheep]

Do you have a zoo close to you? Zoos usually offer more than just a stroll among the animal enclosures. The shows are educational and often tell you about current research in biology. Many zoos double as botanical gardens. And you can always peoplewatch there.


No comments: