Thursday, June 15, 2017

--- Ubiquitous BASIC ---

2016

I have another range - cyberspace. Specifically, I explorer the more abstract corners of the world by programming.

I originally learned to program using BASIC. "BASIC" stands for "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code" and it was developed by John G. Kemeny and Thomas E. Kurtz at Dartmouth College. It was designed to be a computer language that is similar to English so that beginning programmers could easily learn to program. It quickly became a popular, all-purpose language. In fact, it is often included in other software as a macro language.

In college, I programmed for other people and never had a problem adapting to other languages (except for - shudder- COBOL). More recently, I've played around some with Python but mostly use LibreOffice's version of Basic. LibreOffice uses a trimmed down version of BASIC to allow users to program their office productivity software.


No comments: