Wednesday, March 9, 2022

GPS check

I had a dentist appointment on the eighth of March, so I took a train and, while I waited at Arapahoe at Village Center station, I compared my GPS coordinates as measured by Google Maps and the Physics Toolbar app. Both are easy. To get the coordinates from Google Maps, you just set a pin on the map where you are...poke your screen at the spot and hold it there until the teardrop shaped pin appears. Then you can read your coordinates in the search bar. Here's what I got.

Physics Toolbox is just as easy. The menu button at the upper left gives you a list of options. Choose GPS and the screen gives you the data. Here's mine.

So what I have from Googles Maps is:
Latitude: 39.600337
Longitude: -104.888418
and from Physics Toolbox:
Latitude: 39.600331
Longitude: -104.888407

That's pretty close, but how does it work out in distance?

There's a formula that gives you the distance between two points, specified by global coordinates on the Earth's surface. In the Astronomy LabBook, it looks like this:

I have it saved in my MC50 Programmable Calculator app so I don't have to crunch the numbers from scratch and my data has the same number of significant digits, so I can punch them right into the calculator. What I get is 0.000024 kilometers. That's 0.024 meters or 2.4 centimeters. Assuming that Google Maps is accurate, Physics Toolbar's stated precision of ± 5.36 meters is pretty conservative. 

Of course, the precision changes according to atmospheric conditions and the number of satellites in range (here we have 20 satellites.) 

GPS is important in any field science. It's easy to note your position in a field notebook when you have a pair of accurate global coordinates, and you should. At each observation you should note your position (if you can't get your coordinates, describe your position as best you can by giving the position in respect to some named landmark) and the date and time.

The smartphone has become a great companion for the field scientist. I never leave home without mine.

2 comments:

steve said...

hi, to my knowledge, your phone uses the same internal methods to supply GPS coordinates to Google Maps and Physics Toolbox, so it's in some ways more interesting that the numbers are different at all; offhand i would attribute the difference to jitter between the time you took one reading and the other, or possibly a difference in rounding methods

Wolf VanZandt said...

Thanks! You sent me on an online learning expedition

Here's Google's explanation of hot Google maps finds a specific location's global coordinates.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/coordinates

The origin of their world map seems to be at 180°,85° on their Mercado projection world map. So they equate pixels on their map to degrees to calculate the coordinates of the specific location selected by the user.

I was wondering because you don't have to be at that location to get the global coordinates. If I was at Arapahoe station and I wanted the coordinates of, say,Angel's Landing in Zion National Park,Utah, I could just zoom in on the formation using Google Maps, poke it on my phone's screen, and I would get

37.269183°,-112.946995°

The phone's coordinates would still be the ones for Arapahoe Station.