Sunday, September 27, 2026

Roswell: Highway 285 to Berrendo Road: Life

Roswell is an oasis in the Chihuahuan desert and being such it provides many opportunities to view interesting wildlife from the microscopic



Algae colony from Cahoon Park on the Spring River Trail - Sunken Garden

To mega fauna like this


Deer I spotted on a walk back from town 

It is a place of wildlife refuges like Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, Spring Run Parkway in the Center of town, and Salt Creek Wilderness. In the spring, the desert blooms.







Roswell has a small zoo, the Spring River Zoo, which is, in size, between a roadside attraction zoo and a large city zoo. It has tours and educational events and the staff seems to be dedicated to their mission.








The idea that a desert is a barren lifeless environment is absolutely incorrect. 

Human life is also important here.

There are two hospitals in town: Eastern New Mexico Medical Center and Lovelace Regional Hospital. 
Roswell Fire Department provides emergency medical services. There are many clinics scattered around the city and I've had some good experience with both public health services (I'm retired on a small pension) and general medical services. I have heard that availability of specialists is rather thin and there's a lot of travel between Roswell and places like Albuquerque and El Paso. I think I can say that the services that are available are good.

One of the joys of the United States is the vast diversity of landscapes and ecosystems to explore.

No comments: