Sunday, March 15, 2020

Meanwhile...

I hope you don't think that the only things I do are what I report in my blog two or three times a month. Most of my activity is family and community business. I have a Carolina dog that keeps me busy at home and along with washing dishes and cooking occasionally, I make frequent trips to local grocery stores and there is the weekly trip to the old neighborhood where I am still the assistant librarian at the church I used to attend.

But I'm supposed to walk at least 20 minutes every day to keep my heart going. Almost literally, "if I stop, I stop." Luckily, even my local walks are interesting. Some of the neighbors like to talk and most of them have friendly dogs (Denver is dog territory). The scenery is even spectacular in the neighborhoods.

A while back, I walked over to the other side of Arapahoe to check out Fiddler's Green. It's at the north rim of the valley formed by Little Dry Creek. It's the southern border of the patch of tall buildings in South Denver called "The Denver Tech Center". I go there every week to the Arapahoe at Village Center light rail station, but I had not checked out the surrounding area. 

The big draw is Fiddler's Green Amphitheater, a major venue for stage shows in the area. But it isn't much to look at unless you're going in and that requires a ticket.

On the other hand, there is much more packed into the area. The other day, I noticed a bronze statue of an elephant near the rail station. It was so uncharacteristic that I couldn't quite figure out what it was from a distance. It's a reminder that there's so much up the hill (probably anywhere) that you always miss things, so you have to keep going back.

Adjacent to the amphitheater is Marjorie Park with it's collection of fanciful statues, including many from the Alice stories of Lewis Carroll. There was construction going on when I visited so I could only get a few shots through the gates.



The park was originally named Samson Park after the pet Yorkie of the Museum of Outdoor Arts founders John and Marjorie Madden. The name was changed in 2015. I'll have to return after they finish construction.

Luckily, nearby Tuscany Plaza was accessible with it's collection of statues.







There is outdoor art all over the place in the Village Center/Fiddler's Green area. On the way back from the train station, I got a picture of the bear outside Plaza Tower One, the prominent 22 story building at Village Center.


In fact, you could wander around the entire Tech Center for days looking at art and architecture. 

And, of course, the views of the Rockies in this area are stunning. It's easy to get so used to them here that you forget how breathtaking they are.

The little park running through Walnut Hills is a corridor for wildlife. I spotted this big redtail hawk a couple of days ago. If you have problems seeing it, it's because they are well camouflaged in their leafy surroundings.



Speaking of wildlife, last week, a friend and I hiked up Waterton Canyon to Strontia Dam. Groups of male bighorn sheep were lounging around. I guess the females are lambing. There were plenty of birds and we saw a herd of deer on the other side of the river. 


Not a great shot but incentive to go back sometimes with my telephoto lens. There is a big difference between optical and electronic enlargement.

The Corona virus is interesting from a sociological standpoint. It's a repeat of so many epidemics that I've been through over 66 years of life but this time it's close to mass hysteria. The electronic media has opened up the world to many exciting possibilities, but it has also become a tool for manipulating huge numbers of people who have adapted quite well to it and are very open to manipulation.

It is keeping me inside more to avoid all the mad dashing around and store emptying.

Stay safe and be a neighbor for those that are more vulnerable and we'll get through it all.

1 comment:

Wolf VanZandt said...

I appreciate your comment. It gave me a chance to use my translator. Where is your service, by the way? Are there any interesting sights nearby?