Monday, June 5, 2023

Fox to Union Station

The last leg of the G Line brought me back to Union Station. I started my hike at 41st and Fox light rail station and and walked straight down Fox Street into downtown Denver.


Actually, since I begin these G Line adventures at Union Station, it was both my starting and end points. Here's another photo of the train pavilion.

Union Station was first opened in 1881 but was rebuilt in 1914 after a fire. It was revitalized in 2014, conserving the image of the past with the high ceilinged hall and 112 room Crawford Hotel  and adding the very modernist additions of the RTD facilities. With ready access to 16th Street Mall and the free MallRide buses; the underground bus terminal serving RTD buses, Colorado's Bustang routes, and Grayhound; plus Amtrak, Union Station is central to just about everywhere.

The Colorado monsoons were in full swing so the day was nicely overcast and the rains were hours away. All in all, it was a nice day for an adventure.

Fox Station serves a neighborhood. I don't see much to drew tourists. Being north of and close to (and not in) downtown Denver places it in an area of industrial activity. 

This hike was short, under and over a couple of bridges, and became interesting as I neared downtown.

There is the Fox Station art piece.

Aggregation, by Brian Brush, looks like an industrial fabrication waiting to be delivered. That's not a criticism since it certainly fits it's surroundings.

Between the station and downtown, under Interstate 25, Fox Street is lined with a gallery of art works and quotes calling for peace.

Fox Street, terminating as it does at the doorsteps of Coors Field and Union Station is conceived as a gateway to downtown Denver. The Washington Street Bridge was designed with that in mind.

It passes over the South Platte River in a long arc.

Coors Field is Denver's baseball diamond and home to the Rockies professional baseball team. I'm not a fan of baseball (or much of anything, for that matter) but this building draws my attention. It looks very goth to me.

Union Station is right down the street and so, to home.

I go places that I would not normally choose to go because when I put feet to the ground I'm often surprised by things that I would otherwise not experience.

No comments: