Monday, September 14, 2026

Roswell: Highway 285 to Berrendo Road: Food

 



Okay, I'm a foodie.....not quite a gourmet or a gourmand. I like to eat and I like to enjoy eating.


I also like to eat out and am delighted that Roswell is a foodie's paradise. 


There are a few low points but not so bad as to be a health hazard, or I haven't encountered any, so I just won't mention those 


The diversity astounds me. Roswell is a small town by anyone's estimation and even though the UFO thing is still a thing, it's dropped off to a large extent. I'm not sure how it supports the restaurants and motels here but they're not disappearing so I guess it does. 


Of course, New Mexico is inspired by Mexican culture and although I'm sure that even Mexico has subpar Mexican restaurants, Roswell has some fine examples. An old favorite, the Antigua Cocina  Mexicana, in North Roswell has changed hands and now is Geli's Mexican Restaurant. I haven't had the opportunity to try it but I've heard from old time returning diners that the quality hasn't diminished.

The fast food here is even (at least) edible. It's been thirty years since I have found a fast food restaurant that I wanted to eat at. Milkshakes are one thing.....eats are another thing entirely. All the fast food that I've eaten here has been good. A favorite in my home section (Pine Lodge to Berrendo) is Sonic. There are two that I know of in Roswell. The other is in the center of town. There's also a decent Panda Express fast food Chinese restaurant nearby.

In other parts of town there are excellent Middle Eastern, Southern US ("down home"), Italian, Western (steak House style), Chinese, Japanese, Caribbean, and at least one Cajun restaurants....all worth trying.

I always get surprised reactions when I recommend Alabama as a destination for people who like to eat well. Now I have another and I will gladly recommend Roswell, New Mexico.

What kind of food do you like and do you have any good restaurants near you? If you had to recommend an area for foodies to vacation in, where would it be?

No comments: